Friday, September 11, 2015

His Word, My Doubts

"For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith." Mark 11:23

When I see the color blue, I do not doubt that it is blue. In fact, I am confident that it is blue. When I see a tree, I do not question whether it is a tree. As I drive through the mountains, I do not have to agonize over whether they are mountains or not because I KNOW, without a doubt that they are indeed mountains. When I feel the presence of the Lord, I do not question or wonder if it is His presence, I just KNOW. These are just a few of the thousands, maybe millions, of things I KNOW. I have no doubt regarding these things that I KNOW. I do not second guess these things or analyze them or become tormented over my knowledge/understanding of them.

God speaks to us and gives us promises. In His Word there are many, many promises that are ours to claim. He speaks a word of peace to our worried mind. He gives a word of comfort for our grief. Time after time God tells us that He has everything under control and all things will work for the good. And we believe Him because we KNOW He is faithful and cannot lie. When he speaks to our heart, we just KNOW and trust.

But then in the darkest moments before the dawn, when it seems that night will not end, doubt sneaks in. In the lowest times, just before the miracle, just before deliverance, just before salvation... doubt tickles at the fringes of your heart and mind. Doubt doesn't normally come in as a flood, just a small trickle to cause your faith to waver a little. Just enough for you to start questioning, until you question everything.

It is in that moment of questioning, that moment of doubting that you have to stop and get back to the foundation of your faith. You must return to that which you KNOW! I KNOW that God said this, it doesn't matter how I feel or how reality looks. I KNOW what God said and he does not lie. With the knowledge of what God has spoken, I can have the faith of a mustard seed and yet move mountains.

The past couple of days I have been having a mini pity party. I am sure no one else has those types of parties but I was. Doubt starting tickling the edges of my mind so all I could see was my short-comings and the impossible. It didn't take too long before my heart and mind was consumed with doubt. Then I received a text message asking me how I was doing. Being a person of faith is my heart beat so I replied that even though I felt one way, I KNOW God to be in control. Beng confident, and doubting nothing, I KNOW what God said. I do not need to question His Words or his faithfulness. In speaking in faith of what I KNOW I was able to push doubt right out of my heart and mind. So when doubt starts causing your faith to waver, speak of that which you KNOW. Speak of God's faithfulness. Speak of God's mercy. Speak of God's grace. Doubt does not have a chance against you when you stand fast on that which you KNOW.

"By this I know that thou favourest me, because mine enemy doth not triumph over me." Psalm 41:11

No comments:

Post a Comment