Monday, September 14, 2015

His Word, My Bookcover

"And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty." 2 Corinthians 6:16-18

One of the things that I do enjoy about where I work is the multi-culturalness (is that a word?) of the employees on my shift. There are people from Laos, Thailand, Burma, Kenya, Ghana, Malowi, Venezuela, Mexico, Korea and probably other places that I am not aware. It is kind of neat to talk with them about their culture and how they came to be in the USA. Since changing departments, I am now working with a man from Ghana. I have spoke with him occassionally before as I sponsor a child in Ghana and wanted to know what the culture was like. Today as I was inspecting the parts in his cell, he asked me what country I was from. I must admit I was puzzled because I thought it would be fairly obvious that I am from HERE. I told him that I was from here but my heritage is mostly German and a little English. His response took me a bit by surprise. He said that I was different than most Americans that he had met. He said that I acted and looked different and my manners were different than others. Not really understanding where he was going with this conversation, I told him that I was a Christian and I believed that we needed to be identified as such. As we talked about church and our witness to those around us, he said that people are always watching us - good or bad, they notice it all. When he said that I was reminded of the times that we have been told that sometimes we are the only Bible that some people will ever read. That is a serious statement. The first question is: Can others identify us as a Bible? Does our cover say Holy? What does our bookcover look like? Does our cover adequately show the beauty and power of the Word that we have hidden in our hearts? Does our book cover express the Grace and Mercy of Jesus? Perhaps our cover gotten covered with stains of self, vanity and ego? Is our cover trendy and current with the latest fashions but not rooted in modesty and holiness? Does our cover identify us as a child of the King? Does our cover cause others to want to know more about our Jesus?

My desire is that the bookcover of my life shows the love of Jesus to all that reads it.

No comments:

Post a Comment