Sunday, September 13, 2015

His Word, My 62.5%

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6

I am a starter of projects. I have a mostly completed baby quilt in a drawer in my sewing room. I have scrapbooks of trips and special events started but not quite finished. Several years ago my sisters started getting together once a year. I started each of them a little album of that first "Sisters' Weekend" but they are still in boxes and incomplete. My living room has not had the walls over the stairs painted because I didn't quite find the time and the tools to span the stairs. The sheer volume of unfinished projects is overwhelming and I feel it is probably best to not discourage myself by listing them all. Let us just agree that there are a multitude of projects and tasks that have been started to some degree but remain unfinished. Sometimes the reason for the incompletion is lack of talent,skill or know how. I am not very good with power tools, especially saws. Some of my unfinished projects are due to the lack of the proper tools to finish or the lack of physical strength or manpower. I would like to claim that the lack of time is sometimes the reason but we have time for what we want to have time for so I obviously have chosen to prioritize my time differently. Lack of motivation or an abundance of discouragement are probably the two biggest reasons for my unfinished projects. Most of the time I get to a point and I say, "Good Enough" and that is where the project stops.

This Sunday night as I sit here thinking of all my unfinished projects, I could become a bit overwhelmed. You see, several weeks ago God told me to deal with my issues. He told me what they were a long time ago and I had started working on them but didn't quite finish. This time He didn't let me off the hook, He said "Do It" and I knew He meant business. We are now several weeks into the "Deal With Your Issues" phase and I have found myself growing more discouraged at the volume of issues. To be fair, I have worked really hard and have made great progress on what God told me to deal with but there is still more changing that needs done. I still struggle with the holiness of the heart. I still struggle with keeping a right attitude. I still struggle with living a life decluttered of distractions so that people can see Jesus in me. This is the normally the place in my projects that I say "good enough" and stop but God isn't letting it go that way this time. He gave me a promise. He told me that if I deal with my issues and become the woman that He wants me to become then He will deal with those things over which I have no control. God isn't going to be content with me being only 62.5% changed. All of my issues need to be dealt with and changed not just the majority. I wouldn't want God to only give me 62.5% or the majority of my blessing, how can I give him less? So I will put away the computer, put away the distractions and focus on what God has required of me.

"Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised)." Hebrews 10:23

1 comment:

  1. stopped reading this one because it was too uncomfortable. Then made myself go back to finish it - still only scanned it. Guess I know what I need to work on too.

    ReplyDelete