Thursday, September 24, 2015

His Word, My Remembrance

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

When I was 5 or so my mother went back to school and became a nurse. She was a wife, mother of 7 children and carried a full load at school (she may have worked also, I don't remember). She studied and did all she could to do her best but with all of her responsibilities, I am certain she felt stressed and perhaps a bit under-prepared. Time and time again I heard her quote this scripture. She always added the qualifier that we had to put it in our mind in order for it to be brought to our remembrance. Her stand was that God will not bring to remembrance what we didn't put there in the first place.

As a child, my parents were very faithful to church and when in Sunday School we learned many, many memory verses. I also belonged to Awanas and learned hundreds of verses over the course of years. Through Bible reading, church, Sunday School and Awanas I have been very blessed to be thoroghly exposed to the Word of God. I find that God brings His Word to my remembrance just when I need it; sometimes before I need it so I will be prepared and not overwhelmed. Today was no different.

Today was a banner day. It was a day of devastation and hope. Earlier in the day God brought a scripture to my remembrance. At the time I thought perhaps he brought it to mind for me to write about it because it is a wonderful verse. As my day progressed I received some heart-breaking news and was momentarily knocked off my feet until God brought His Word to my remembrance. As I had my sister read it to me, I realized how powerful and faithful God's Word is. It was in that few moments that God showed me that he had already gave me a word to help me through the trial. It doesn't matter what you are going through, God has the right word for you. "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15 It is through studying, reading and memorizing God's Word that we find strength (Psalm 119:), wisdom (Colossians 3:16), faith (Romans 10:17), salvation (Psalm 119:41). His Word is limitless in its application to our situations.

I am so thankful for the faithfulness of my parents and also for God putting a love of His Word in my heart. For I know "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." 2 Timothy 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment