Sunday, September 6, 2015

His Word, My Trouble

"Call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me." Psalm 50:15

Today we had our family reunion which was decades in waiting. Of course all this family togetherness made me miss my grandmother. I do have a few momentos from her house but there are a few things that meant a lot to me that went to other children or grandchildren so I have replaced it with duplicates. One of the items that reminds me so strongly of my grandmothers is the Daily Bread Promise cards. I found one at the Family Christian Store and just had to buy it. Tonight after being with the family, I pulled a card and it was a promise of God delivering me in the day of trouble.

I don't know about you but I have had my share of "days of trouble." Whether it is a rough day a work, a friend being injured or sick, a broken relationship, children causing stress or financial stuggles, I have had those days of trouble. It seems that just when things get a bit comfortable and I feel that I can let down my guard is when those troubles hit me. I hate to admit this but I seem to be at my best when I am beseiged with troubles on all sides. When my back is against the wall and I can't see how anything can be made anew is when my faith and trust in God is at the peak. It seems that during times of great duress is when He floods my heart and mind with peace, joy and a faith that puts me in awe. When control is ripped out of your hands and your only hope for spiritual survival is through God, it is at that time that you need to call on Jesus and, as he promised in Psalm 50:15, he will deliver you. My promise card ended at that point - "Call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee" - but there is a bit more to that verse. That verse ends with a commmand - "And thou shalt glorify me." A command isn't something to take lightly, when that promised deliverance comes (or even before it comes) we should glorify the God of our salvation. I think that is the key to our deliverance. Thoughout the Bible we see many examples of the teaching people to praise God even when trials come, even when storms blow. When we cannot see our way for the darkness and storms, we still must trust God and glorify him for his mighty works. We cannot stand idle, even when we can just stand. We MUST glorify God.

No comments:

Post a Comment