Thursday, July 28, 2011

God's Investment

We have heard time and time again the scriptures regarding, “to whom much is given, much is required.”  We each have our own ideas of what this means.  My brother-in-law said something to me the other day that explained this in such a literal way that it gave me great pause.  We were talking about God-given talents and skills and he brought up the words of Jesus in the New Testament regarding the master that gave his servants talents.  The one with five doubled it and gave him the original five plus five more.  Similarly for the one with two.  He went on to say, “If God gave me five talents, I am required to use those five talents to win five because to whom much is given, much is required.”  That very literal interpretation of those scriptures caused me to think about my talents and how I can use them to double God’s investment.  God believed in me enough to give me certain talents – whether one or several, it doesn’t matter – and it is up to me to invest those talents in such a way that God’s kingdom grows.  So what talent has God invested into your life and how are you using it?  Perhaps he has given you more than one talent, are you prepared to double it?  I don’t really think our age, our gender, our past, our present or our fears will be a good enough excuse as to why we aren’t giving God a return on his investment in us.

Matthew 25:14-30
14.   For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
15.   And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
16.   Then he that had received the five talents went and traded the same, and made them other five talents.
17.   And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
18.   But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord’s money.
19.   After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
20.   And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents; behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
21.   His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou has been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
22.   He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, though deliveredst unto me two talents; behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
23.   His Lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou has been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
24.   Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
25.   And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there though hast what is thine.
26.   His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gathered where I have not strawed.
27.   Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
28.   Take therefore the talent from him, and give it to him which hath ten talents.
29.   For unto everyone that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
30.   And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.


So I again ask you, how are you using God’s investment in you?

No comments:

Post a Comment