Thursday, April 26, 2012

Strong Weakness

This morning I was reading in Judges about the calling of Gideon. God told Gideon that He would deliver the Midianites into his hand. Gideon blew the trumpet and called over 30,000 men to battle. God told Gideon that there were too many people with him, as the children of Israel would not give God the credit for the victory but take it for themselves. So Gideon told everyone who was fearful to go home and 22,000 men left. There was left 10,000 men and still God was not pleased with the amount as there were still too many. Even though the Midianites were numbered like grasshoppers and the camel were without number for their multitude. (If you read further on in chapter eight, you realize that there were in excess of 135,000 men who drew swords in the army of the Midianites.) So God had Gideon reduce the number from 10,000 down to 300. It was with that measly 300 men, armed with only trumpets, a pitcher and lamps, that God discomfited the Midianites.

I know that we have heard and read this story many times over but there is no event that could better display God’s power in our weakness. Someone wrote to me the other day about how they are felt like they were born weak. I have to say, what an tremendous opportunity because in who else could God really display his power and strength. God refused to do a mighty work with Gideon when he had the power and strength of over 30,000 men, even though they were going up against 135,000. God wanted the army of Israel to be out-manned, out-gunned, and overwhelmed because it was in that weakness, in that vulnerability that God’s power was displayed.

II Corinthians 12:9-10

9. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

So when moments of weakness come upon you, when you feel too weak to raise your head, take joy in knowing that it is in that weakness that God’s strength is made perfect. Raise your hands and rejoice during those moments because it is in your weakness that God’s glory can shine through.

No comments:

Post a Comment