Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Fighting the Inevitable

Living close to one of the “Great Lakes” we hear a lot about riptides.  Each year there are so many people, young and old, that drown because they get caught in these riptides.  Not being a great swimmer, I read up on the phenomena of riptides and how a person can save themselves should they be caught in one.  In my reading, I found that many people that drown in riptides do so because they either panic and/or attempt to swim against the tide toward the shore.  It went on to say that even an experienced and strong swimmer would exhaust himself and ultimately fail should he attempt to swim against the powerful currents of a riptide.  When exhaustion and panic set in and the currents carry you far out into the water, drowning is almost certain.
So it is with the will of God.  There are plans that God has for this world and plans that he has for each individual in it.  The end of days appears to be coming quickly upon us, and regardless of what we do, how we vote, what we say, God will do that which he has determined to do.  We can be part of His plan and be rewarded with life everlasting or we can fight against it and be cast into everlasting darkness.  The end is inevitable, where we spend it is the only choice we have.  For our individual lives it is very similar.  God has a certain will and purpose for us.  His will is inevitable, whether we fulfill that will or drown in the process is our only choice in the matter. 

For me personally, I feel that God has put a call upon my life.  Now I can take a hold of that calling and do that which he has called me to do or I can go against it and do my own thing.  His calling WILL be fulfilled, if I refuse someone else will take up the mantle but I will be left outside of his will and fighting to stay spiritually alive.  Regardless of how strong I may think myself, I will most likely die a spiritual death while going against the flow of God’s will.  There are so many people that choose an honorable (and apparently easier) path over God’s will because His will is too hard, His path too uncomfortable.  They do not appear to understand that though there are many honorable paths; God’s path is very singular.  When they choose that honorable path over God’s will, they have chosen to fight against the inevitability of God’s will.  Truly God’s will, even at a personal level, is inevitable; it is our choice whether we are in it or whether we spiritually drown while fighting against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment