Thursday, September 8, 2011

Peace or Fear... Your Choice

Job 34:29a “When He giveth quietness, who can make trouble?”

I recently took a long desired trip to Newfoundland.  I had diligently sought the Lord about the rightness of the trip and the timing.  God worked things out so perfectly for me to go and I was incredibly excited.  It is just shy of 1,800 miles to the ferry in Nova Scotia and I set off with a deep peace in my heart.  After a mere day and half of driving (30 hours), I arrived in N. Sydney only to discover that I did not make it in time for the last ferry of the evening and the next ferry was sold out and I would have to wait a whole day in this one place.  There for a few minutes (okay, maybe an hour or so) I wondered if perhaps I misunderstood and I wasn’t supposed to go at all but then I prayed and the peace of God was renewed.  My unplanned time in Nova Scotia was wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know a wonderful family and visiting the Fortress Louisburg.  When it was time to catch the ferry the next evening, I arrived at the dock quite early without intending to do so but God’s hand was in that too because I met a wonderful young lady who was moving to Newfoundland without any family or friends and I was able to bond with her and her children.  As I traveled over the land that I love so much I had such a wonderful peace and joy at being exactly where I was supposed to be at that moment.  As I started heading out east, enjoying the beauty of the mountains and sea and thrilling in the wonder of being where I was, I continued to have this wonderful, divine peace.  After having traveling approximately 3,000 miles from home, I reached a place that I had long looked forward to visiting because the name of the community was exactly how I felt – “Heart’s Content.”  As I visited with some wonderful people at the drug store, the post office and the telegraph station and hearing their dismay at a female traveling so far alone and them telling me of all the horrible things that could happen… my peace starting leaking out of my heart through the hole that fear caused.  When I left there and traveled to St. John, I was too nervous to stop off at any other little communities because I just KNEW that my car was going to break-down, have a flat tire, I would fall off a cliff or some other calamity.  By the time that I reached Kristi and Bennett’s house, I was full of fear and my peace completely dissipated.  So I did the only thing I knew to do and asked for them to pray for me that God would restore my faith and peace.  I also determined that I would reject the fear that is not of God and claim the peace that only comes from Him.  As I settled back into God’s peace, I was once again able to enjoy the wonder of being exactly where I was supposed to be.

Today I woke up with peace from knowing that I am in a journey of God’s making.  He said, “Arise and go” and (perhaps with a little bit of help) I arose and went.  God spoke to my heart this past weekend about the direction that he desires that I take and I have actively pursued that direction.  He has assured me time and again that he is in control and will take care of me when I put him first.  I do know these things in my heart and mind so when a phone call comes, or someone says something horribly hurtful, why do I allow my faith to start leaking out?  How is it that the smallest thing can lay waste to every bit of faith in our heart?  This is the act of the enemy of our soul to use fear as a weapon against our faith.  It may be a small little hole that he pokes into our faith but pretty soon, if we do not lay claim to the peace that God has given us, every bit of our faith will flow out until we are left with nothing but fear and doubt.  So when fear comes, get a firm grasp of 2 Timothy 1:7 “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”  Claim that which God HAS given you and reject that which is of the enemy; for “When He giveth quietness, who then can make trouble?”




No comments:

Post a Comment