Thursday, August 11, 2011

Yeah but.... Faith

Recently I had conversations with two different men who are, in my opinion, quite knowledgeable about the word of God.  I reiterated my yesterday’s thought of God is only limited by our faith and how many times our faith is based on how we see situations through our limitations.  One of the men expressed his frustration about a couple situations in which he has no power, no influence, and yet he feels strongly that there needs to be a change.  I told him that he should pray and allow God to work the change.  His response was, “I have spent 30 years praying and the situation is the same.  I have kept my mouth shut and now I just can’t hold my peace any longer.”  Though I understood his frustration, I reminded him that he has no power to make the change, no influence or authority to make it better or different and it has to come from God.  I told him that God can work a miracle in any situation, whether it is a physical illness, financial situation, or a desperate spiritual situation.  It all comes down to whether we believe and have faith in God’s limitless wisdom, power and resources.  His response was, “yeah, but…”

The second man that I spoke with last night had a similar story.  The physical, financial, etc. situations were frustrating him.  There isn’t enough money to make ends meet and his heart is grieved at the roads of belief and doctrine that people are deserting in order to follow another way.  My response was to pray and allow God to work it out.  We, within our own power, are limited and do not have the ability to MAKE someone stay on the right path nor do we have limitless resources to mend all of our financial situations.  It all comes down to whether our faith is in God’s limitless abilities, power and resources.  His response was, “yeah, but…”

You see I have a new slogan, “There are no “buts” in faith!” and these men’s conversations went against that very principle.  Because these conversations were contrary to my newfound understanding of faith and God’s power, I found them to be quite disturbing.  Am I wrong in believing that we need to get a firm grasp on having faith in God’s limitless power?  Am I wrong in believing that I need to strengthen my faith in God’s limitless wisdom?  Am I wrong when I say that God’s only limitation is directly tied to our limited ability to believe and have faith in His limitlessness?

I don’t think I am (you can reply to this email with your thoughts on my rightness or wrongness) because you see – MY God took nothing and created the universe.  MY God balances the oxygen levels on this earth exactly right to sustain life.  Not just those HUGE things but MY God also gave me a job, my children, and strength of mind and body.  I don’t know about YOUR God but my God knows what tomorrow holds and can guide my today to prepare me for that tomorrow.  I am not saying that this is something that I have a firm grasp yet but God has recently opened my understanding regarding his limitless power, wisdom, resources and influence.  When I see a situation through my limited vision and can’t see any way that it will ever work out, I just have to give it to God and he, in his infinite power, will transform the situation.  Speaking of transforming, I have in the past struggled with the thought that I will never be able to be transformed into a vessel that is COMPLETELY usable for his service.  But He is showing me that through my limited abilities, my limited strength it would be impossible but with his limitlessness – ALL things are possible.  When we have reached the point of not knowing what else to do to remedy a situation, the doctor’s report is dire or our influence has failed, it is then that we need to open our hands wide and give it to God and allow Him, in his limitless power, to take care of those things we just can’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment