Monday, August 15, 2016

So Shall It Stand

"The Lord of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand." Isaiah 14:24

There are so many times in life when storms come our way and we start feeling uncertain, fearful and wonder how we are going to make it through. We feel that the storm has created havoc in our life, we can't see where we are headed and nothing seems to make sense. Earlier this year I was driving down to Kentucky to see my parents and it rained almost the whole way. Driving in constant rain is not my idea of a good time but, though annoying, it doesn't bother me too much. I was around Dayton, Ohio when all of a sudden it started raining so hard I couldn't even see the hood of my car. I quickly turned my hazard lights on and my mind started racing about whether I should stop or continue to drive. Mentally I was in full panic mode. Instantly feeling frightened and worried about what response the drivers of the cars around me were going to choose. I was in pray through mode. I had no visual references at all. Suffice it to say, it was a harrowing and terrifying experience. It may have been 3 minutes or 30 minutes (my terror did not recognize time) but somehow I managed to keep it together through that storm cell and come safely through to the other side. You know what would have been great? What if I had someone who could have seen through the torrential rains and told me exactly what I needed to know to drive safely through the storm? If I had complete faith in their ability to direct me where I needed to go and how fast I should drive, my fear would have dissipated. My driving would have changed based on what this person told me, perhaps I would have veered to the left or right or slowed down or sped up but I would have been able to do those things KNOWING that they could lead me to safety.

It is no different in our spiritual walk. We get slammed on one side or the other (sometimes both sides) by the storms of life. Perhaps it is the loss of a job or your car breaking down. Maybe someone spoke poorly of you or ignored you. The storms in life come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and while we are directly in that storm we can't see past where we are. For all we know there is a spiritual tsunami headed straight for us that will destroy us or there may be blue skies and still waters in just a little while. We don't know but we do know a God who does know what lies ahead. He knows where he wants to take you and knows exactly the storms that you must go through to get there. We just have to have faith that whatsoever he has purposed, it will stand. When that storm tries to overwhelm you just draw closer to the One who can see on the other side of the storm.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:" Philippians 1:6

No comments:

Post a Comment